Neck strains are not typically serious injuries, but they can cause significant dysfunction and pain. Some of the signs and symptoms that indicate when a strain is severe enough to warrant a trip to a doctor along with available treatment options are outlined below.
Neck Strain Injury Causes
A neck muscle strain can be triggered by a variety of common activities that causes a strain to the anatomy of the neck, such as:
- Carrying a heavy object on one side of your body
- Sleeping in a way that places a strain on the neck, such as using a pillow that is too firm or too high
- Spending excessive time in an uncomfortable position, such as hunched over to look at a computer screen or cradling a cell phone under your chin
- Receiving trauma to the neck, such as whiplash after an accident
Many neck strain episodes result in a stiff feeing in the neck or shoulder muscle pain. Symptoms may include pain and difficulty when trying to rotate or move the neck or head.
Neck Strain Injury Treatment Options
While visiting a Lithia Springs personal injury chiropractor, he or she can help to relieve the pain of a neck strain, other treatment options are also available.
- Apply Heat: This can bring blood to the affected area in order to stimulate healing. Moist heat in the form of a hot shower or bath is one option, while other people prefer the use of a heat wrap or hot water bottle.
- Apply Cold Packs or Ice: Cold can help to reduce inflammation in an affected area, and this can help it to heal. Cold packs or ice can be applied in 20 minute intervals throughout the first 24 hours.
- A can help to stimulate flow of blood in the area, which can promote healing.
- Medications: Anti-inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen can reduce inflammation which can then reduce pain.